Welcome to the Lewis family blog!






Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, February 12, 2011

A minimalist approach...

I've been in a bit of a funk for the past week. Why you might ask? That's a good question! I couldn't and still can't quite put my finger on it, but I thought being productive this weekend will help light a fire up under my butt and get to working!!

I read a blog this past week (one of those you find on a friend of a friend of a friend's blog). I wish I could find it again, but alas it's gone to blog never never land. Oh well, the idea of the blog was minimalist approach to life and belongings. Not that you have to shed EVERYTHING but just go with the minimal amount of stuff to make life EASIER, LESS COMPLICATED and CLEANER! Sounds like a good way to go for a mama in a funk. Now, I am about as opposite of a minimalist as they come. In fact, I'm a bone a fide pack rat! I just can't seem to part with anything, especially of Legree's. It ALL has meaning!

But I'm going to try to do better and clean up and clear out! My best friend Megan and her husband Andrew are on the road to adopt another baby this year. While trying to raise funds for it they are throwing a yard sale at my church! I'm so excited! So I decided I'd "kill two birds with one stone". Actually kill three with one stone... here's why...

1. Go for the more minimalist approach in our house, de-clutter, organize etc.
2. Give everything we are getting rid of to Meg and Drew to help raise money for adoption fees
3. Get the house ready and cleaned out to put on the market this spring

WHY WHY WHY didn't I do this before?? I guess I needed three big reasons to get my butt in gear. So, here's my goal, one room every weekend. This weekend I did the big one... THE KITCHEN!

I took EVERYTHING out of the cabinets, scrubbed the insides and outsides of the cabinet, got rid of everything we haven't used in the past year (or ever in some cases, sad I know). Now I already have a HUGE stack of things to give to Meg and Drew. I'm sure some family out there could and will actually use. Now my cabinets are clean organized and sparkly AND I would be perfectly happy with ANYONE (even potential buyers) to look in my cabinets AND I can already feel a weight lifted off of me and my funk clearing.

Next up? The hallway closet and Legree's room... SCARY!! But I don't have to worry about it till next weekend, because I'm pacing myself here :)

1 comment: