Welcome to the Lewis family blog!






Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Book of Eli

So, the other night Ben and I went to Redbox to get a movie. Ben had been dying to see The Book of Eli. I didn't know really what it was about. I knew it was a "guy" movie and I wasn't too terribly interested. But since I picked last time and the movie was AWFUL I had to let him pick! Anyways, we cuddled up in bed with some popcorn and turned it on.

(Spoiler alert! You may not want to read this if you haven't seen the movie! I won't give the ending away, but I am going to talk about parts of the movie)

It started out as the typical guy movie. The end of the world and everyone is killing each other and beating each other up. Denzel Washington is the main character and he's walking out west for some reason but you don't know why for most of the movie. Eventually you find out throughout the whole movie what the deal is. There was a huge war and a "flash" (nuclear war). Whoever was fighting this war destroyed every book on earth including the Bible. This was 30 or more years before the movie was set. Mainly the only people alive still were born after this war and don't remember life as we know it now. No one knows how to read and all they know is survival. There is barely any water left for everyone to survive. There are a few older people (Denzel's character being one of them) left that remember how it used to be. God spoke to him and lead him to the only Bible left on earth. And he told him to carry it out west and he would protect him. And protect him God did! Denzel reads the Bible every night and walks completely by faith through very dangerous lands and puts his life on the line all the time to get this book out west. He has no clue where out west he's going or why, he just goes where God leads him.

If only I could have faith like that! He was blindly going where God told him to go and not really knowing why. All he knew was to protect the Bible and listen for God's instructions. He was walking through extreme danger and turmoil. I often resist God's plans for me because I don't want to or I want to take the easy way out. This movie really inspired me to listen more to God and watch for what HE wants in my life... not what I want! It also made me realize that I need to be thankful for what I have in my life. Denzel's character prays and thanks God for EVERY little thing. I don't pray nearly enough to thank God for the over abudance of joy and gifts he has given me!! We all take this life for granted. They even point that out in the movie. We throw away things now that people kill each other over in the movie. And most of them are killing to survive, not just to be mean.

I'm so proud of Hollywood to produce such a movie as this... this is what people need to see!!

No comments:

Post a Comment